Dr Nick Andrew. Ophthalmologist.
Fellowship Trained in Complex Cataract and
Minimally-Invasive Glaucoma Surgery.
Cataract, Glaucoma and Complex Surgery of the Iris and Lens
Dr Nick Andrew
Dr Nick Andrew is an Australian ophthalmologist with a specialist interest in complex glaucoma and cataract surgery. He focuses on delivering patient-centered care at the highest standard possible. He also enjoys the challenge of applying the latest scientific knowledge and surgical advancements to the specific needs of each patient.
Dr Andrew was fortunate to be selected for the prestigious Glaucoma and Advanced Anterior Segment Surgery (GAASS) Fellowship with the world-renowned Dr Ike Ahmed in Toronto. Dr Ahmed is regularly listed as one of the most influential ophthalmologists in the world and his GAASS fellowship is widely-regarded as providing the best training in glaucoma and complex anterior segment surgery. Dr Andrew is to date the only ophthalmologist in the entire Asia-Pacific region to have undertaken this fellowship training. In addition, Dr Andrew also undertook a fellowship with Prof Tony Wells in Wellington, New Zealand. Prof Wells is a leader of surgical glaucoma in Australasia and was himself trained by Sir Peng Khaw in Moorfields, London.
Professional Associations and Awards
Dr Andrew is a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (RANZCO). He was awarded the Filipic Greer Medal for excellence in the Advanced Ophthalmic Pathology Examinations. Other notable awards include the Australian and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine Prize, and The Mutual Community Scholarship for all-round sporting and academic excellence at the University of Adelaide, and a RANZCO fellowship scholarship.
Dr Andrew is a Researcher of note
As a researcher, Dr Andrew has published over 40 scientific articles in peer-reviewed ophthalmic journals. Dr Andrew is also a reviewer for several leading ophthalmic journals and is completing his PhD in ophthalmology. He enjoys teaching and is co-host of one of the leading ophthalmology podcasts, Ophthalmology Against The Rule. This discusses the latest developments and controversies in the field of ophthalmology.
Dr Andrew served as a board member of the eye charity ‘Sight For All’, which works to improve eyecare in the developing world. He helped to develop fundraising initiatives that have raised over $100,000 and he has travelled to Myanmar twice to support eye care delivery there. Dr Andrew was also fortunate to spend six months working in Alice Springs and the remote communities of Central Australia during his ophthalmology training.
Outside of medicine, Dr Andrew is a keen rower and was a Captain of the Australian Rowing Team. He represented Australia in several international competitions and was a silver medalist at the 2006 U23 World Championships. He and his wife have two young children so he now spends his rare time away from work playing with them.
Dr Andrew’s journey has been one of devoted hard work which he has found incredibly fulfilling. He would be delighted to take care of you and treat any eye problem that you may have.
Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), The University of Adelaide, 2010
Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists, 2019
Glaucoma and Advanced Anterior Segment Surgery (GAASS) Fellowship with Dr Ike Ahmed, Toronto, Canada, 2019
Glaucoma Fellowship, Prof Tony Wells, Wellington, New Zealand, 2018
Awards / Prizes:
RANZCO/Allergan Travelling Scholarship for my overseas fellowships, 2019
The Filipic Greer Medal for excellence in the RANZCO Advanced Ophthalmic Pathology Examinations, 2016.
The Dermot Roden Prize for best oculoplastics research paper, 2013 RANZCO Congress, Hobart, Tasmania.
The Australian and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine Prize, 2009.
Mutual Community Scholarship, 2007. For all-round academic and sporting excellence.
Australian Student Prize for being ranked in the top 500 matriculating students in Australia, 2003
Teaching and Community Service:
Board Member of ‘Sight For All’ charity, 2014-2018
Derek Frewen AO Citation for Clinical Teaching, awarded during my internship year, chosen by the University of Adelaide Medical Students, 2011.
Nominee for Burns-Alpers Medal 2017. This is the top prize for teaching voted for by the medical students of the Flinders University, South Australia
- Australian Rowing Team, U23 Division, 2006, 2007
- Team Captain 2007.
- Silver Medallist at U23 World Rowing Championships.
- Beijing Olympics Men’s Rowing Squad.
- South Australian ‘Rower of the Year’, awarded by the South Australian Sports Institute, 2006
- Bob Heddle Sports Scholarship, 2006. The highest sporting distinction that can be awarded to a student by the University of Adelaide.
- PhD of Medicine candidate
- Andrew NH, Akkach S, Casson R. A Review of Aqueous Outflow Resistance and its Relevance to Micro-invasive Glaucoma Surgery. Surv Ophthalmol. In Press.
Andrew NH, Huang S, Craig JE. A modified technique for intraluminal stenting of glaucoma drainage devices: the guide-wire technique. Ind J Ophthalmol. Accepted Jan 2020.
Huang S, Andrew NH. Improving eye drop adherence: a simple technique using a cable tie. 2019, Acta Ophthalmologica.
Craig JE, Xikun H,. Andrew NH,. MacGregor S. Multitrait analysis of glaucoma identifies new risk loci and enables polygenic prediction of disease susceptibility and progression. Nature Genetics. Accepted Dec 2019.
- Ngan K, Andrew NH, Gale J, Wells AP. Loss of pressure control resulting from tube bending during glaucoma drainage tube perforations. Ophthalmol Glauc. In Press.
- Lahood BR, Goggin M, Beheregaray S, Andrew NH, Esterman A. Comparing Total Keratometry Measurement on the IOLMaster 700 with Goggin Nomogram Adjusted Anterior Keratometry. J Refract Surg. 2018 Aug 1;34(8):521-526
- Andrew NH, Marshall HN, Souzeau E, Ridge B, Fitzgerald J, Awadalla MS, Healey PR, Agar Ashish, Galanopoulos A, Hewitt AW, Graham SL, Landers J, Casson RJ, Craig JE. Macular GCIPL loss precedes peripapillary RNFL loss in glaucoma with lower intraocular pressure. Ophthalmology. Aug 2019.
- Newman A, Andrew NH. Changes in Australian Practice Patterns for Glaucoma Management. ClinExp Ophthalmol. July 2019.
- Awadalla MS, Fitzgerald J, Andrew NH, Zhou T, Marshall H, Casson RJ, Graham SL, Healey PR, Agar Ashish, Galanopoulos A, Phipps S, Chapell A, Landers J, Craig JE. Prevalence and type of artefact with spectral domain optical coherence tomography macular ganglion cell imaging in glaucoma surveillance. PLoS one. 2018 Dec 5;13(12).
- Shields MK, Andrew NH, LaHood BR, Saha N. Eye injuries following ocular exposure to euphorbia plant sap: an Australian and New Zealand case series. ClinExp Ophthalmol. 2018 May;46(4):434-437.
- Andrew NH, Selva D, McNab AA. Re: Tang et al.: Bilateral lacrimal gland disease: clinical features of 97 cases (Ophthalmology 2014; 121-2020-6).
- Ng SK, Kahawita S, Andrew N, Henderson T, Craig JE, Landers J. The Association of Visual Impairment and All-Cause 10 Year Mortality among Indigenous Australians within Central Australia: the Central Australian Ocular Health Study. JAMA Ophthalmology, 2018 May 1;136(5):534-537.
- LaHood B, Andrew N, Goggin M. Antibiotic prophylaxis in cataract surgery in the setting of penicillin allergy: a decision making algorithm. Surv Ophthalmol. 2017 Sep-Oct:62(5):659-669
- Newman A, Andrew N, Casson R. Review of paediatric retinal microvascular changes as a predictor of cardiovascular disease. ClinExp Ophthalmol. 2017 Jan;45(1):33-44.
Newman A, Andrew, N, Casson R. Review of the association between retinal microvascular changes and eye disease. ClinExper Ophthalmol. Jul 2018.
Liu E, Ng S, Kahawita S, Andrew N, Henderson T, Craig J, Landers J. Ten year All-Cause mortality and its association with vision among Indigenous Australians within central Australia: The Central Australian Ocular Health Study. ClinExper Ophthalmol. 2017 May;45(4):348-356.
Andrew N, Coupland SE, Pirbhai A, Selva D. Lymphoid hyperplasia of the orbit and ocular adnexa: a clinico-pathological review. Surv Ophthalmol. 2016 Nov-Dec;61(6):778-790.
Watanabe A, Andrew N, Ueda K, Kinoshita S, Katori N, Reid M, Pirbhai A, Selva D. Clinico-radiological features of primary lacrimal gland pleomorphic adenoma: an analysis of 37 cases. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2016 Jul;60(4):286-93.
Hassall M, AndrewN. Single-eye trial of a topical carbonic anhydrase inhibitor versus intravitreal bevacizumab for the treatment of Taxane Drug Induced Cystoid Macular Oedema. BMJ Case Report. 2016 Apr 19.
AndrewN, Wu A, McNab A, Selva D. Bilateral IgG4-related ophthalmic disease: a strong indication for systemic imaging. Br J Ophthalmol. 2016 Oct;100(10):1409-11.
- Andrew N, Kearney D, Sladden N, McKelvie P, Wu A, Sun M, McNab A, Selva D. Idiopathic dacryoadenitis: clinical features, histopathology and treatment outcomes. Am J Ophthalmol. 2016 Mar;163:148-53
Andrew N, Gajdatsy A, Selva D. Intraorbital corticosteroid injection for the treatment of IgG4-related ophthalmic disease. Br J Ophthalmol. 2016;100:644-647
Andrew N, Chan W, Tan M, Ebneter A, Gilhotra J. Modificiation of the inverted internal limiting membrane flap technique for the treatment of chronic large macular holes. Retina. 2016 Apr;36(4):834-7.
Kashani I, Rajak S, Kearney DJ, Andrew N, Selva D. IgG4 staining in thyroid eye disease. Ophthal PlastReconstr Surg. 2017 May/Jun;33(3S Suppl 1)
Andrew N, Selva D, McNab A. Re: Tang et al. Re: bilateral lacrimal gland disease: clinical features of 97 cases. Ophthalmology. 2015 Jun;122(6).
Andrew N, Wu A, McNab A, Selva D. IgG4-related ophthalmic disease: pooling of published cases and literature review. Current Allergy & Asthma Report. 2015 Jun;15(6):27
Sun M, Andrew N, O’Donnell B, McNab A, Huilgol S, Selva D. Periocular squamous cell carcinoma: TNM staging and recurrence. Ophthalmology. 2015 Jul;122(7):1512-6.
Andrew N, Wu A, Tsirbas A, Tan P, Gajdatsy A, Selva D. Rituximab for the treatment of IgG4-related orbital disease: experience from five cases. 2015 Jan;29(1):122-8.
Andrew N, Sladden N, Kearney D, Selva D. An analysis of IgG4-related disease (IgG4-RD) amongst idiopathic orbital inflammations and benign lymphoid hyperplasias using two consensus-based diagnostic criteria for IgG4-RD. Br J Ophthalmol. 2015 Mar;99(3):376-81.
- Andrew N, Kearney D, Sladden N, Crompton J, Selva D. Sequential biopsies from IgG4-related orbital disease reveals progressive fibrosis. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol.2014 Nov;42(8):789-91.
Andrew N, McNab A, Selva D. A review of 268 lacrimal gland biopsies in an Australian cohort. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2015 Jan-Feb;43(1):5-11.
Peter J, Andrew N, Smith C, Figuiera E, Selva D. Idiopathic inflammatory orbital myositis presenting with vision loss. Obit. 2014 Dec;33(6):449-52.
Andrew N, Slattery J, Gilhotra J. Infrared reflectance as a diagnostic adjunct for subclinical commotion retinae. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2014;62(8):879-80.
Andrew N, Wood J, Mammone T, Pirbhai A, Casson R, Selva D. A protocol for growing human orbital fibroblast cultures in vitro. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2013; 41:86-86
Gabb G, Andrew N. A lump in the throat- a case study. Aust Fam Physician. 2013 Deec;42(12):863-6.
Andrew N, Kearney D, Sladden N, Goss A, Selva D. IgG4-related disease of the hard palate. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014 Apr;72(4):717-23.
Andrew N, Selva D. Postoperative haemorrhage in powered endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2014 Apr;42(3):262-5
Andrew N, Kearney D, Selva D. Re: Deshpande V, Zen Y, Chan JK, et al. Applying the consensus statement on IgG4-related disease to orbital lesions.Mod Pathol. 2013;26:1150-51.
Van Zyl L, Andrew N, Chehade M, Sadlon T, Badenoch P. Acanthamoeba lenticulata in a hard contact lens wearer. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2013 Nov;41(8):810-2 28.
Andrew N, Kearney D, Selva D. Intraorbital corticosteroid injection for orbital reactive lymphoid hyperplasia. Eye. 2013 Apr;27(4):561-3.
Andrew N, Dodd T, Selva D, Davis G. Tendon sheath fibroma of the medial canthal tendon. Ophthal PlastReconstr Surg. 2013 Jan;29(1).
Andrew N, Pirbhai A, Moffat D, Rajapaksa S, Wormal PJ, Reid M, Selva D. Mucus extravasation into the orbit during frontal sinus irrigation. Ophthal PlastReconstr Surg. 2013 Jan-Feb;29(1)
Andrew N, Kearney D, Selva D. IgG4-related orbital disease: a meta-analysis and review. Acta Ophthalmol. 2013 Dec;91(8):694-700.
- Andrew N, Gabb G. ACEI associated angioedema. Aust Fam Physician. 2012 Mar;41(3):89.
- Andrew N, Gabb G, Del Fante M. ACEI-inhibitor associated angioedema- a case study and review. Aust Fam Physician. 2011 Dec;40(12):985-8.
Andrew N, Ruberu R, Gabb G. The first documented case of Candida dubliniensis leptomeningeal disease in an immunocompetent host. BMJ Case Rep. 2011 Aug 4;2011.
For all appointments and enquiries, please contact
Sight Specialists, Gold Coast.